On the last page of every issue of Industry West, we find a Saskatchewan business person or leader to answer our version of the Proust Questionnaire. Marcel Proust made the questionnaire famous, believing that 35 specific questions could reveal a person’s true nature. We grabbed this idea—you’ve probably seen it in Vanity Fair—and made our own version. The first five questions are ours, and then we ask our subject to pick their favourite Proust questions to answer.
Meet Alisha Esmail, CEO at Road Coffee Inc.
- Where are you from? Saskatoon, SK
- Where did you attend school and what did you study? My studies are in international development.
- What is your career history? I spent 6 years doing international development in a number of countries including Haiti, Nepal and South Africa. This included products involving clean water, food security and primary health. In 2016 I founded Road Coffee from my hometown of Saskatoon, SK.
- What’s the best piece of business or career advice you have or have been given? Be yourself, be authentic. People want to work with other people, you bring out innovation, creativity and build trust when you’re simply being yourself!
- What’s your favourite thing about Saskatchewan? The community! It’s all about community, from the business community to other aspects of society. I love how SK people support each other!
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? Building my dream, being innovative and impacting change for others; as well as being surrounded with people who make me feel known and loved.
- What is your greatest fear? That I would lose my ability to dream, that I become apathetic or “give up” and settle for a life I don’t want
- What do you most value in your friends? Authenticity, everyone is different and that’s what makes relationships beautiful
- Who are your heroes in real life? Ceci Genis; Costa Rican coffee farmer who has the world’s first Women Care certified farm in the world! Amber Mac; Bestselling Author, Keynote Speaker: she’s authentic, innovative and most importantly creates platforms for other people to be successful #goals
- What is your motto? Who we’re becoming is more important than what we are doing.