On the last page of every issue of Industry West, we find a Saskatchewan business person or leader to answer our version of the Proust Questionnaire. Marcel Proust made the questionnaire famous, believing that 35 specific questions could reveal a person’s true nature. We grabbed this idea—you’ve probably seen it in Vanity Fair—and made our own version. The first five questions are ours, and then we ask our subject to pick their favourite Proust questions to answer.
Meet Dami Egbeyemi, owner of Regina’s NeuroFitness Center Canada Inc. Here’s what he had to say.
1. Where are you from? I am Canadian, I was born in Brazil, and my family is originally from Nigeria. My father was a diplomat which meant we travelled to a new country every 3 to 4 years, so I have lived on every continent except Oceania. I think it would be more appropriate to say that I am a citizen of the world.
2. Where did you attend school and what did you study? All over the world. I went to elementary school in Nigeria, Kenya and India (multiple schools in each country). Middle school and High school in New Delhi, India; finished high school in Houston, Texas; started university at Baylor University in Waco, Texas; went to SIAST in Prince Albert and I am currently at the University of Regina. I have studied microelectronics, computer and information sciences, psychology, and neurofeedback.
3. What is your career history? I have a very diverse background. I started working as an adult educator in Information Technology at the Academy of Learning, and have worked in various technical roles in IT including as a Network / Server technician, Service Desk, eventually moving into a Business Analyst role. Through my background in IT, I moved into the health and wellness field and have been a Biofeedback /NeuroFeedback practitioner for the last 10 years.
4. What’s the best piece of business or career advice you have or have been given? Try everything you are interested in. You will never know what you like until you try it.
5. What’s your favourite thing about Saskatchewan? The winter – just joking! I love the sky, it truly has the most beautiful skyline I have ever seen in all my travels. It also is where I met my wife, started my family and business so It will always be memorable for me in that regard.
6. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Doing what you love effortlessly every day.
7. What is your greatest fear? Feeling like I do not have control over my life.
8. What is your current state of mind? Multi-Faceted.
9. What or who is the greatest love of your life? My family.
10. Which talent would you most like to have? I’d like to have a photographic memory.