On the last page of every issue of Industry West, we find a Saskatchewan business person or leader to answer our version of the Proust Questionnaire. Marcel Proust made the questionnaire famous, believing that 35 specific questions could reveal a person’s true nature. We grabbed this idea—you’ve probably seen it in Vanity Fair—and made our own version. The first five questions are ours, and then we ask our subject to pick their favourite Proust questions to answer.
Meet Paul McLellan, CEO of Alliance Energy Ltd. He agreed to play along and here’s what he had to say.
- Where are you from? Regina
- Where did you attend school and what did you study? High School-Campbell Collegiate Regina, U of R, B Admin 1981, SIAST Journeyperson Electrician 1982, U of R MBA 2009
- What is your career history? 40 years at Alliance Energy (Sun Electric)! From stock boy to CEO.
- What’s the best piece of business or career advice you have or have been given? Do what you love!
- What’s your favourite thing about Saskatchewan? The people.
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? Spending quality time with my family. When my sons, wife and daughter-in-law get together, we have lots of laughs. It is how I would rather spend my time over anything else.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Being too quick to give unsolicited advice. Sometimes folks just want someone to listen but I always want to fix it.
- What is the trait you most deplore in others? Being unkind. This comes across as being a bully and disrespectful.
- Which living person do you most admire? Wow, that is a tough one! I know some great business people local and national and there are some great people we would all love to meet, but my wife Debbie is the one I admire most. The support she has given me and our family is just too incredible to describe. She is the most loving and caring person that I have ever known.
- Which talent would you most like to have? Musical! I knew that was never going to happen when my Grade 6 teacher, Sister Mary Rita said she would give me an A if I would just mouth the words!
- Who are your favourite writers? Love fiction and mystery, so John Grisham, Ian Rankin, David Baldacci, Lee Child to name a few. I am always reading a book!
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I and me.
- When and where were you happiest? Christmas mornings with my family. We all look forward to it even 33 years later. We have an absolute wonderful time.
- Who is your hero of fiction? I was raised on Superman comics.